In 1874, after reviewing the quarantine law the “Quarantine inrichting Beekenburg” was designed for isolation of seafarers who suffer from yellow fever. Suspicious vessels were identified by their so-called “Yellow Jack”, a yellow that should be waged at that time. Yellow fever was one of the most contagious diseases of that time (early 20th century) and the people were on a small island like Curaçao very afraid of epidemics.
The reception of sick seamen was initially done in the former barracks of Fort Beekenburg, that was converted to quarantine hospital. In 1883 the organization expanded to include what we now know as Quarantine Building. In the barracks building, ill patients were lying in the Quarantine building for observation.